Mastering Creative and Experience Intelligence: A Year with Adobe Sensei
As a company whose mission has always been to design and deliver exceptional experiences, Adobe has long combined creativity, data and intelligence to push the limits of innovation in pursuit of this goal. While data science techniques such as artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning have always been part of that equation for us, it was one year ago today that we signaled a deeper investment and commitment to this space when we unveiled Adobe Sensei – our AI and machine learning platform.
It’s been an incredible journey over the past year. In that time, we’ve laid the foundation for Adobe Sensei in our cloud platform and rolled out dozens of new intelligent features, powered by Sensei, across Adobe’s product portfolio. Today, there are more than 100 Sensei-powered capabilities in product or in our pipeline across Adobe Creative Cloud, Document Cloud and Experience Cloud. These features are helping our customers work smarter, faster, more efficiently and effectively – whether they’re designing an app, editing a film, or launching a marketing campaign.
Empowering People to Create
Our fundamental belief is that Adobe Sensei will amplify human intelligence and creativity – not replace it – and free you from performing mundane tasks. The power of intelligence to boost creativity was on display two weeks ago at Adobe MAX – our annual creativity conference – where we announced more than a dozen new Sensei-powered features now available across Adobe Creative Cloud. A few of the features generating buzz:
- Intelligent Photo Search – leverages machine learning in Adobe Lightroom CC so users can run streamlined searches to find photos based on keywords/tags automatically applied to objects in photos.
- Auto-Lip Sync – accurately picks the right mouth shapes to correspond with spoken sounds on a cartoon character/puppet in Adobe Character Animator CC.
- Typekit Visual Search – users can submit their own photos of type to find similar fonts from Adobe Typekit’s inventory of 5,300+ fonts, allowing users to quickly find the right typeface for their projects.
- REMIX – automatically analyzes song files via Adobe Audition CC – identifying hundreds of loops, transitions, and important segments – and then allows users to quickly rearrange any song to fit any duration.
While these features are available to customers today, we also took the opportunity to glimpse into the future. Among the projects in our labs putting the magic of Adobe Sensei to work is a “creative assistant,” which uses design intelligence from Sensei to continually learn from your personal creative styles, workflow decisions and templates to automatically enhance creative efforts. Check out the proof-of-concept demo from MAX:
Intelligence for Document Services & Digital Experiences
The innovation with Adobe Sensei has also continued across our digital marketing and document services solutions.
- With Adobe Experience Cloud, a massive volume of anonymized customer data powers Adobe Sensei’s learning engine. We’ve helped our customers manage more than 155 trillion data transactions over the last four quarters. For example, Auto-target in Adobe Target, powered by Adobe Sensei, enables marketers to rapidly deliver an unlimited number of personalized customer experience variations across their digital properties. Adobe Sensei then helps determine the best experience for each consumer and continuously optimizes those experiences as the consumer takes additional actions (like making a purchase or signing-up on a site). This has resulted in helping our customers drive nearly 1 billion consumer conversions for their companies in the past year.
- In June, Adobe Document Cloud released Adobe Scan – a free mobile app for iOS/Android allowing users to easily create digital documents from anywhere. By using advanced image processing techniques powered by Adobe Sensei, Adobe Scan instantly captures images and transforms them into clear and dynamic PDFs with reusable text. Using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) within Adobe Scan, you can convert printed text to digital text in seconds.
From image matching across millions of images, or finely targeting important audience segments with a marketing campaign, to understanding the meaning and sentiment of documents, Adobe Sensei will continue tackling complex experience challenges for our customers. Our deep, focused integration of AI is driving rapid innovation for us in developing new technologies that advance the future of experiences – empowering our customers to be more creative and innovative. Additionally, Adobe Sensei will soon be available to partners and developers as APIs via Adobe.io – Adobe’s developer platform. This will enable developers to build entirely new types of Adobe Sensei-powered applications and solutions for their customers.
The convergence of art and science is deeply embedded in Adobe’s DNA and our big bet on AI with Adobe Sensei is the next major chapter in our company’s journey. We’re truly excited about the exciting plans and roadmap we have in place, and can’t wait to bring you amazing new Sensei innovations in the coming year.